National Director – CNEWA Canada
Who are we?
Catholic Near East Welfare Association (CNEWA) is a special papal agency created by Pope Pius XI in 1926 to support the Eastern churches in their service to people in need throughout the Middle East, Northeast Africa, India and Eastern Europe.
CNEWA brings much-needed help to struggling Christian communities and to families who have suffered due to poverty, war and displacement. Learn more at cnewa.org/ca.
About the position:
CNEWA seeks a dynamic and experienced executive to provide strategic leadership for our office in Ottawa, Canada. This role will maintain and harness key partnerships with other executive committee colleagues, Church leaders, donors and other similarly aligned organizations. You will oversee all aspects of day to day operations in our Canadian office and aim to bolster outreach to current donors and inspire new donors in support of the mission. You will manage a full team of professionals ranging from administrative, financial, fundraising and programmatic. This position forms an integral part of CNEWA’s senior management team, and will work closely with key stakeholders and teams across all organizational levels to help develop and drive overall strategic plans and objectives. This position reports directly to CNEWA’s President and CNEWA’s Canada Board of Directors.
- 5-10 years of senior management experience in a non-profit, NGO and/or Catholic mission-based organization.
- Possess a deep understanding and serves as an outstanding advocate of CNEWA’s mission.
- Ability to identify, develop and harness key relationships with Church groups/officials and provide a network of potential grantors within Canada.
- Versatile manager, comfortable at engaging general public in search of new revenue.
- Able to work with Canada’s Board to develop and maintain the strategic direction of CNEWA Canada.
- Able to develop an annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the office.
- Assures sound fiscal management, operating within the approved budget, while ensuring maximum resource utilization.
- Supports the enhancement of CNEWA’s image by being publicly active and visible and by working closely with other Church, professional, and private organizations.
- Active fundraising experience. Excellent donor relations skills and understanding of all funding sources.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Must be familiar with local Canadian regulations, labour laws and other mandatory requirements as they pertain to the management of the Ottawa office.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Must be bilingual both in English and French.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Knowledge of the social, cultural, political, and religious environments of the countries served by CNEWA are a strong plus.
- Able to travel semi-frequently abroad to the areas served by CNEWA.
- Excellent judgement, flexibility, reliability, and diplomacy.
- BA and/or MBA in related field.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not exclusive to:
- Develops and implements strategic plans to achieve results within the parameters of the approved budget; evaluates measurable objectives and adapts.
- Develops yearly fundraising plan of action in collaboration with key stakeholders. Measures and assesses fundraising initiatives with metrics and performance goals.
- Develops, recommends and implements individual and organizational donor acquisition, retention and enhancement.
- Develops and monitors the national office’s budget as approved by the CNEWA Canada Board of Directors.
- Develops and implements communication strategies to engage Catholic and secular media to raise awareness and engage the public.
- Maintains key relationships with the bishops of Canada via the CCCB, regional Bishops Assemblies, and in the annual CCCB plenary meetings.
- Maintains and develops partnerships with Eastern Church leaders in Canada;
- Travels overseas to visit CNEWA’s partners and participate in international meetings.
How to apply:
If you share these interests and a passion for advancing CNEWA’s humanitarian and pastoral programs, please forward your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Judith Poitevien at email@example.com Please indicate the position for which you are applying in the subject line.