CNEWA

Picture of the Day: Restoring Slovakia’s Colorful Past

Father Peter Jakub celebrates the Divine Liturgy at St. Basil’s in Krajné Čierno, in Slovakia.
(photo: Andrej Bán)

In the May 2008 issue of ONE, Jacqueline Ruyak reported on the restoration of historic wooden churches in Slovakia, such as St. Basil the Great:

St. Basil the Great is one of two churches that serve Krajné Čierno’s tiny population of 65. Built in 1730, St. Basil has three towers that, like its wooden gate, end in conical shingled roofs. Unlike most other wooden churches, the babinec and nave are the same width. Exceptionally small, the sanctuary allowed room for only one deacon door in its elaborately carved iconostasis. Between 1999 and 2004, St. Basil’s was fully restored. Treated with a colorless preservative, its new wood siding exudes a natural sheen.

When he first came to Ladomirová, the priest knew little about wooden churches. He now makes all decisions on restoration for the three churches, writing grant proposals and meeting with officials from the Ministry of Culture, the main source of funding.

For more see, Rooted in Wood.

Recent Posts

Get to know us and stay informed about the impact your support makes.

0 Shares
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap