On 10 September 2016, more than 260 people attended the “Baptism by Fire” fundraising dinner in Canada in at the Madison Convention Center near Toronto. People from different parishes and different backgrounds attended — including local bishops and clergy. We gathered together for a common cause — supporting Christians in the Middle East, mainly in Iraq, Syria and Egypt.
Sponsored by the Archdiocese of Toronto and CNEWA Canada, the event raised funds that will support CNEWA’s work in Syria and Iraq, and projects in Egypt run by keynote speaker, the Rev. Henri Boulad, S.J.
Some memorable quotes of the night:
- “The testimony of selfless love is the best gift you can give.” — Father Henri Boulad, S.J.
- “We pray for the Lord to bless those who are giving their lives in the Middle East.” — Cardinal Thomas Collins, Archbishop of Toronto
- “We support people not because they are Christian, but because we are Christian.” — Cardinal Thomas Collins, Archbishop of Toronto
- “We need to make sure there’s a future of Christianity in the Middle East.” — Carl Hétu, CNEWA Canada national director
- Let’s be advocates for peace in the Middle East.” — Carl Hétu, CNEWA Canada national director
If you’d like to lend your support, visit this link. You can also read more about CNEWA’s work supporting Christians in the Middle East in recent editions of ONE magazine, including this in-depth look at displaced Iraqis and this report on Cardinal Dolan’s pastoral visit to Iraq last spring.