Last updated: May 25, 2022
Information we collect
We may collect or obtain information relating to you in a variety of ways. Such information may include personal information (i.e., information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with you). Additional details about our collection of personal information can be found below.
Personal information you provide: We collect the personal information that you choose to provide on the Website, which may include your name, mailing address, and email address. Should you choose to make a donation, we (or our service provider) will also collect your payment information (including your card number and expiration date).
Personal information collected by automated means: Like most websites, when you visit and interact with the Website, we collect certain information automatically about your browser, device, and/or activity. This information may include your device’s Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, browser settings, language settings, date(s) and time(s) of your visit(s) to the Website, the webpage you visited immediately prior to the Website, and your geolocation (which may be determined by your device’s IP address).
How we use information
We use your personal information for the purpose(s) for which it was collected or provided to us. The specific purposes for which we may use the personal information we collect or otherwise obtain about you are described below.
- Provide and manage the Website and carry out our activities. We use your personal information in connection with the provision, administration, and management of the Website. We also use your personal information to carry out our organization’s activities.
- Communicate with you and market to you. We use your personal information to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests. From time to time, we may use your personal information to send you important updates and marketing communications and materials.
- Customize and personalize the Website. We use your personal information to help us understand which parts of the Website are of most interest to you and customize or personalize your user experience.
- Identify usage trends and improve the Website. We (or our service providers) use your personal information to conduct analytics about your use of the Website and identify usage trends. We also use your personal information to identify issues with and improve the Website.
- Fraud prevention and security monitoring. We use your personal information to detect, prevent, and investigate fraud and for other security purposes.
- Comply with law. We may use your personal information to comply with applicable law and/or respond to requests and communications from law enforcement authorities or other government officials.
- As otherwise necessary or appropriate. We may use your personal information as we believe necessary or appropriate to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property as well as those of others.
Legal basis for processing personal information: Applicable law in your country of residence may require us to set out the legal basis upon which we rely in order to process your personal information. We will process your personal information in the following circumstances:
- we need to perform the contract we have entered into with you or are about to enter into with you;
- you have consented to such use;
- we have a legitimate interest in using your personal information (e.g., for network and information system security; data analytics; enhancing, modifying, or improving our services; identifying usage trends, etc.), provided that our interest is not overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms; or
- we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation to which we are subject.
With whom we share your information
In connection with one or more of the purposes described above, we may share your personal information with the following categories of third parties:
- Our service providers: We will share your personal information with providers of services, including providers of system/data hosting, management, and support services; email marketing services; credit card processing services; and other services related to the operation of the Website and our agency. Our service providers are subject to binding contractual obligations and restrictions on the use of the information we share with them for any purpose other than carrying out the services that they are performing for us.
- Competent governmental and public authorities: We may share your personal information if we are required to do so by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or other legal process, a court order, or government reporting obligations.
- Other third parties: We may share your personal information with other third parties at your direction or with your consent. Additionally, we will share your personal information as necessary or appropriate to: (a) enforce our Terms of Service; (b) protect our operations; (c) protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property as well as those of others; and (d) allow us to pursue available remedies or limit damages that we may sustain.
A “cookie” is a small piece of data that is stored on your computer/device when you visit certain websites. Cookies can be used for various purposes, including to record information about your computer/device, your browser, and, in some cases, your preferences and browsing history.
- Analyzing our web traffic using an analytics package;
- Identifying if you are signed in to the Website;
- Testing content on the Website;
- Storing information about your preferences; and
- Recognizing when you return to the Website.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. Please note that rejecting or disabling cookies may prevent you from taking full advantage of the Website. To learn more about cookies, please visit https://allaboutcookies.org/.
Google Analytics: We use Google Analytics, a web analytics tool that may set cookies in your web browser, in order to help us understand how users engage with the Website. To learn more about Google Analytics’ data practices, please visit https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6004245?hl=en. For opt-out options specific to Google Analytics, please visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
The Website is intended for use by a general audience and does not offer services to children. We, therefore, do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 18. If we become aware that we have received personal information from an individual under the age of 18, we will take reasonable steps to delete such information from our records.
We use reasonable organizational, technical, and administrative measures to protect information under our control.
Your rights and choices
Depending upon your country (or U.S. state) of residence, you may have a number of rights with regard to your personal information, including the right to:
- request access to your personal information;
- request that we delete the personal information we hold about you (subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law);
- receive the personal information you have provided in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format and request the transfer of such information to another entity, to the extent applicable;
- request that we update the personal information we hold about you or correct such information that is inaccurate or incomplete;
- withdraw the consent that you have given us to process your personal information;
- restrict our processing of your personal information (e.g., if we have no legal right to keep using it) or limit our use of your personal information (e.g., if your personal information is inaccurate or unlawfully held);
- object to our use of your personal information for certain purposes (e.g., direct marketing); and
- lodge a complaint regarding our processing of your personal information with the appropriate authority.
Exercising your rights and choices
You may exercise the rights specified above by submitting a request to:
In order to protect your privacy, we will need to verify your identity prior to effectuating your request and may ask you to provide personal information to do so. Where applicable, we will use the requested information for verification purposes only.
We will respond to most requests within 30 days of receipt. However, some requests may take longer. We will notify you in writing if we need more time to respond. We have the ability to deny your request(s) if certain exceptions in the law apply. If we do deny your request, we will provide you with the reasons for such denial.
Please note that you can also opt out of receiving marketing-related communications from us by following the “unsubscribe” instructions that come with each message from us or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Because we carry out all of our information processing activities in the United States, our collection of your information may result in the transfer of such information outside of your country of residence.
In order to ensure that your personal information is adequately protected, we transfer your personal information subject to suitable safeguards being in place. For example, if you are based in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), Switzerland, or the United Kingdom (“UK”), we use contracts approved by the European Commission or the UK government that provide appropriate safeguards for personal information that is transferred to countries that have not been recognized by the European Commission or the UK government as providing an adequate level of protection for personal information.
By using the Website and providing us with your personal information, you are acknowledging that your personal information may be transferred outside of your country of residence. To find out more about how we safeguard your personal information when it is transferred across borders, please contact us using the details provided in the “Contact us” section below.