Stories From the Field:
Monsoon Season Turns Roads Into Rivers in Kerala

Climate change has an impact on India

The video above shows the main city road (M.G. Road) of Ernakulam in Kerala, India — seriously flooded, due to heavy rain on Monday.

The flooding here is becoming worse every year due to climate change. It is still raining heavily as I write. From June to September, Kerala gets a monsoon, which makes up around 70 percent of the total average rainfall; the remaining 30 percent comes from another monsoon, which hits from October to December. However, the distribution pattern is causing the frequent floods.

We have been experiencing torrential rains for the last two years. Experts say climate change is having its worst impact on Kerala, because it is tucked between the Western Ghats on one side and the sea on the other.

Life in Ernakulam came to a standstill on Monday as the rains turned major roads into rivers. The streets were waterlogged. Residents were shocked as they were unable to get out of their houses, the water streaming into their homes.

The weather forecast predicts more rains in the coming days; people were told to take precautions to remain safe. More than 2,100 people have been evacuated to nine relief camps in the district.

Residents say the lack of proper maintenance of the roads and canals could also be contributing to the flooding, which affected shops and residents all along M.G. Road, Banerji Road and many other side roads in the city.

Please keep us in your prayers!

Recent Posts

Get to know us and stay informed about the impact your support makes.

Nous constatons que votre préférence linguistique est le français.
Voudriez-vous être redirigé sur notre site de langue française?

Oui! Je veux y accéder.

Hemos notado que su idioma preferido es español. ¿Le gustaría ver la página de Asociación Católica para el Bienestar del Cercano Oriente en español?

Vee página en español